Sunday, February 6, 2011

Week 4

Word of the Week

Yourdictionary.com defines foible as "a small weakness; slight frailty in character.  I found "foibles" in the article "Why you should quit Facebook now" that professor Rodgers tweeted.  It was used to describe the insecurity of Facebook members' information as a flaw of the social networking Web site.  I found the word interesting because I like the way it sounds. I think it has a funnier context than the word "flaw."  It also makes me think of the word "oopsie."


Catch of the Week

I found this on page 82 of the February issue of Seventeen (don't even ask me why I have an online subscription to a magazine for teenagers).

"I think trust is an important aspect to love and relationships, but you also need to be secure in yourself."

What threw me off is "to love and relationships".  Shouldn't it be "to love and to relationships"?  It just sounded odd to me.


Headline Challenge

I found "Little Orphan 'Annie' In Limbo" from Google News on a Web site called "Platform Nation."  By the headline, you would think that an Orphan named Annie is in limbo, which be definition is an indeterminate state.  The story is actually how a video game named 'Limbo' won "Best Animated Video Game" at the Annie Awards, the Oscars for animated entertainment.

I would re-name the headline something like:  "'Limbo' takes over Annie Awards."


Passage of the Week

1 comment: